Monday, April 21, 2014

Adam K, Katlyn V


Friday April 18th 2014

It was a lovely morning, Adam and I started off with filling in the ruts around the property. This required us to kick back the turf and soil to where it originally was. We also had to add some more soil to some spots where they were really low. After adding the soil we raked it out all nice and smooth. I was shocked as to how many people and plows actually drive on the grass and just don’t care. Our second job of the day was to make a more defined edge to the already existing tree wells. We did one maple, three pines and three crab-apples. After they were all complete it was time to add the mulch. Adam was a pro so he went to get that for us using the tractor. Once our tree wells were finished our first day was almost done, we had one last thing to do, pull out the Serbian spruce up in the front bed. That was a lot easier than I thought we could pull them right out just using our hands. I filled out the form saying that we took them out and put it back with the other ones. That was the end of our first day.




 

Saturday

Saturday was a little slow with us. All Adam did until last break was edge the front bed. And all I did until last break was prune the burning bush (until Pascoe told me not to worry about it because they were coming out anyways… couldn’t have told me that before I started) and pruned the Nine bark. After lunch we decided to get a head start on the cedar hedge because we knew we still had a lot to do. We knocked off all the soil from the root balls and left them to bake in the sun. We also had to do some of those buggers up that people had forgotten to do. Other than having to remove the debris from the garden bed that about all we did Saturday. I wasn’t too impressed with our work ethic and the amount of work completed for Saturday.

Sunday  (Easter, and also the VERY last day of practical!!!!!)
Since we really didn’t get much done on Saturday we both knew that this is crunch time! Adam went back up to the front of the garden to finish is edge I’m guessing, he also had to mulch it so I’m hoping he did that too. While he was doing that, my best friend Courtney and I started on the cedar hedge. She was in a group of three and they powered through almost all their stuff so she offered to help me out. What a nice friend. First job we had to do was remove the root balls. As I drove along with the RTV she would just pick them up and chuck them into the trailer. We had a pretty good system going once we got into it. Once they were all cleaned up, she was on one side and I was on the other she would rake her side of the soil back into the hole then I would rake mine, once again we had an amazing system going. Now it was time to mulch. I drove the RTV over and watch Courtney somehow perfectly operate the tractor and dumped a big load of mulch in. Sticking to our system, id pull up, park, get out, and help her unload the mulch around the cedars, back in drive a little more. We dropped all the mulch that we needed for our section by lunch time. After lunch I was flying solo again, at this point Adam was down at the other end removing his root balls. I started to spread the mulch along the hedge. Adam came up to help me once he removed his root balls. This is where crunch time began. Not only did we still have to much the whole other side of the hedge but we still had to fill the holes in with the soil. And I still had to prune those dang dogwoods. I left Kattis to trust him to finish the part where I started. I brought the RTV down with me to the other side and started dumping mulch. Filling in the holes and dumping mulch.

No comments:

Post a Comment